Thursday, December 29, 2011

"Thank you, Ben." - Dad

I wasn't doing so well this evening and I found myself back in my bedroom after just getting up from a two hour nap. This time, I had taken my clothes off and was preparing to lay down for the night. I was questioning God and why things are they way they are and why did this all have to happen to me. I was feeling extremely low.

I had turned the t.v. on and saw a newscast about Ben Breedlove. Ben was a young man who suffered from a rare heart disease since the age of four. He had cheated death three times since the age of four. The last time he cheated death was on December 6, 2011. However, on December 25, 2011, Ben passed away from a heart attack. He had made it to Christmas Day before leaving us.

Ben had done something remarkable before he left this world. He made a short "video of silence". He had prepared his life story on small white cards and in simple hand print, presented it for us to read.

After seeing just the tail end of the newscast, I sought out Ben's message on YouTube...



Thank you, Ben.

I got myself up off that bed and redressed. I went downstairs and my wife asked me what I was doing. I replied, "Moving." Ben had inspired me to get my butt out of bed, stop feeling sorry for myself, and to move.

My wife was puzzled with my reply and came up to me face-to-face as I was putting on my winter jacket and G3 hat. She looked me straight in the eyes and asked again what I was doing. I didn't tell her until we got home why I had redressed and come back downstairs. All I said was, "I'm moving. Get your jacket on and let's go."

We went to a nearby favorite fast-food ma and pa shop and ordered some homemade ham and bean soup, one of my favorite. Later, we shared a small cup of ice cream together. I love sharing things with my wife. All the while, I kept Ben in my thoughts and the message of hope that he had given us.

When we returned home and right before I wrote this blog entry, I introduced Julie to Ben.

"Thank you, Ben, for giving me the strength this evening to get up and "move". I was feeling so low and your inspirational story gave me enough strength to give today another try. For that, I am thankful. May you find peace and happiness among the angels." - Dad