Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas! (12/24/11)

Hello Folks,

Christmas Day has always had a very special meaning for me. I born Thomas Edward Boyd into the Catholic faith and raised in a very Irish household and, get this, my birthday was on Christmas Day. That's right, I was one of the millions of  "O'Christian Folks" to have been born on the day that our religion chose to celebrate the birth of Our Lord, Jesus Christ. Let me explain my Christmas Story...

It was certainly a rare event for me to have a Christmas birthday party. I heard comments like, "You know, Tommy, people are busy this time of year." or "People don't have extra cash to be buying you a birthday present when they are spending their paychecks on their own family!"

You get my point!?

I always laughed when my loving wife would tell me how hard it was for her to find me that one special birthday card to expressed not only her birthday wishes for me, but expressed her "Christmas Birthday" wishes for me. I used to tell her it was quite okay to treat me just like everyone else and actually buy TWO cards... a birthday card and a Christmas card... LOL! What a novel idea and a lot easier to find.

Now, when folks notice that my birth date is 12/25/1954, Christmas Day, and mentione that they notice it, I joke by saying, "Oh my, now I'll have to go back into therapy because it took me years to get over it." Some get my sick humor joke and others actually think I'm telling the truth and express concern for my mental well-being. :)

But I'm here today to let you all know that I love my Christmas Day birthday. Who else in the world, past or present, better to share one's birthday with than Jesus Christ. A poor carpenter's son who changed the entire world. What a major accomplishment for a child born poor and in a manger, surrounded by animals and shepherds. The Christmas Star to guide them to the town of Bethlehem to a little barn by an inn that was too crowded to accept the child-bearing couple as guests.

Christmas Eve is now upon us. My wife and I ate an early breakfast at home and then headed into the Lancaster to shop at the Central Market. We joined the hundreds of other folks as they picked up last minute items and food for their Christmas Eve galas and Christmas Day meals. We were all treated to the brass ensemble playing our favorite Christmas melodies atop the new loft. The music floated over the noise of the crowd below as they moved between the many Central Market stands.

I hope that you all can find peace and love within your heart on this most holy of Christian days.

Luke 2:8 - 2:12
8 In the countryside close by there were shepherds out in the fields keeping guard over their sheep during the watches of the night.
9 An angel of the Lord stood over them and the glory of the Lord shone round them. They were terrified,
10 but the angel said, 'Do not be afraid. Look, I bring you news of great joy, a joy to be shared by the whole people.
11 Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.
12 And here is a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.'

Merry Christmas to all my Family, Friends, and Acquaintances at "Fishing With Dad".

Take Care and Be Safe!
Dad