Thursday, October 27, 2011

Before and After Surgery (10/27/11)

Hello Folks,

Pain does strange things to one's mind and body. What I found during my years of post-surgical pain was that I lost my appetite when experiencing it. Oh, I knew I needed to eat, but I would always start to chow down on a meal and then after a few bites, quickly lose the appetite.

This past surgery has been an eye opener for me. Since my last major surgery five years ago, when I had my gall bladder removed and a liver biopsy performed, I had been holding around 216 lbs. I came to identify myself at that weight... never gaining or losing from it in about a five year time span.

During this same time period, I started to take Lantus which is a long acting insulin for my diabetes. I already took the oral medication of Metformin and Glimepiride, but the Lantus injection was added to my medication list about three years ago.

Since my total knee replacement back on July 26, 2011, I have lost close to 40 lbs. Back in 2004, I had my hips replaced and lost 50 lbs after the second operation. However, I weighed in at 230 lbs prior to my two surgeries. On July 26, 2011, I weighed in at 216 lbs and dropped to 176 lbs as of today, October 27, 2011.

This loss of weight has helped me in a very substantial way. I no longer need to take my insulin injections!! If someone would have told me that a few months ago, I would not have believed them. I never truly thought that 216 lbs for a 6' man was awfully heavy, but I guess I was only fooling myself.

I am truly motivated now to keep this weight off, permanently! If I can remain insulin free, it will do my body good. I already take a ton of medicinations due to my liver disease and other health issues. I definitely didn't need to add insulin to the long list because my weight was too high.

Check out these pictures...


BEFORE:
Photobucket

AFTER:
Photobucket

As you can see, there is a major difference between 216 lbs and 176 lbs. I feel physically better, except for my knee pain, of course. I am very happy to be at this lighter weight and hope that my will power helps me to maintain the lower weight so I can remain "insulin-fee".

Take Care and Be Safe,
Dad