Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Chomping At The Bit (03/29/11)

Hello Folks,

I am definitely chomping at the bit to get back out on the water and fishing. It has been a week since I was last out fishing with Steveinpa and the weather has not been good. In fact, it has been down right COLD and WINDY!

I can normally handle the cold air temperatures, but that wind can take it's toll on me very quickly. The winds have been blowing in the mid-teens with gusts reaching as high as the mid-twenties mph!

What creates the biggest problem for me is having to constantly be on the trolling motor correcting my position to make it possible to fish. It wasn't so bad when I was a younger man and didn't have all the arthritic joint problems. But a few weeks ago, I had a cortisone shot in my left knee and it was an immediate reminder that I was no longer that young man of yesteryear.

In the meantime, I've been trying to get back on track with my cardiovascular workouts with the spin cycling classes. I have been to two over the past week and, so far, feel pretty good. Although, during the last spin class on Monday, I did have tinges of pain in my left knee. I suspect that is the way it will be until it deteriorates enough for a replacement. But, I think I can handle it for the time being.

I have had a couple of fishing buddies on the river over the weekend and they each have done relatively good. In fact, one internet acquaintance had another 20" fish. He was fishing a 4.5" worm with a paddle tail. He had a feeling that since the water temps dropped with this cold weather that the smallmouth bass wanted a slimmer profile. His assumption paid off.

The other angler was out with his wife and caught eight bass between the two of them with the largest going 18.75" and another hitting the 18" mark.

There have been rumors spreading that the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) will be closing the spawn season possibly this year. In the past, the PFBC had a closed spawn season from the first day of trout fishing (usually mid-April) until mid-June.

The PFBC will be having their Spring Meetings this coming April 11 & 12, 2011. Maybe we'll be hearing more about this issue in the weeks to come.

I sent an e-mail today to Bob Clouser and Dr. Bob Backman (PFBC Commissioner) asking for information regarding these rumors. If I get a response, I will print it here at "Fishing With Dad".

One more item... There is now a petition being circulated on the internet to impeach Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett. The premise of this petition is that the governor does not have the best interest (health and safety, etc.) of all Pennsylvanians and is allowing our Commonwealth to be polluted by the gas drillers who have contributed to his political campaign. Gov. Tom Corbett refuses to tax these drillers and has been holding fast to his convictions that the drillers are actually benefiting all of Pennsylvania.

This is going to be one exciting political year ahead of us. I have not seen so many people up in arms over this issue, as well as, the governor's proposal to cut the state education funding.

So, hang on to your seats and prepare for a bumpy ride!

I have the G3 ready to roll. I evaluate each day as it comes to see if the weather will allow me a day to get back on the water. Tomorrow's winds look much better, but there may be rain in the forecast by afternoon or evening.

Take Care and Be Safe!
Dad