Friday, June 13, 2014

Six Days of Rain and It's Still Thundering This Evening (06/8-13/2014)

Hello Folks,

It started to rain and thunderstorm here in Lancaster County, Pa. on Sunday, June 8, 2014 and it is currently thundering here on Friday, June 13, 2014. We have had well over 3 inches of rain with an additional inch or two expected today. The rain will be stopping later tonight and this coming weekend will be fantastic!

I saw that Lance Dunham at L.D. Guide Service on the North Branch of the Susquehanna River had a client reschedule today's trip due to high and muddy waters. Not all guides will give you that option since they themselves have now lost a day of scheduled pay. Lance allows his clients to pick up a remaining date left on his "open calendar" using the down payment you submitted. He has the understanding that clients what to have the best opportunity at catching fish using several style or techniques of fishing while paying decent money for a guided trip. I commend all guides who have their clients' well-being at heart.

I am hoping to get the chance tomorrow in meeting up with Jason Tinling (Vista , California). We have been attempting to arrange a get together on my boat since he visits the Lancaster, Pa. area with his wife. Our local weather has not been cooperating and we may not get on the water during this visit.

Another obstacle hindering our get together may be my overall health... I have been physically ill since last Sunday (06/08/2014). Since I withdrew from my pain medications, I have had a series of days-on-end that I have been vomiting and just plain feeling lousy. My two assisting family doctors who have been helping me since my withdrawal on May 15 have attempted two medicine changes over the past month to help me handle this health issue. I understood going into this withdrawal process from my pain medication that it would be a rough road. However, the doctors feel that I am experiencing a rougher road than the norm of patients withdrawing from pain medications. The reason may be the over length of time I was required to be on the pain medications... Three Years!

I've also been participating in the "RASE Program" and seeking out individual therapy during my pain medication withdrawal process. Our health plan uses "Value Options" for mental health programming. They recently gave me several local therapist to check into, but all of them were either "not accepting new patients" or "no longer practicing". After yesterday's meeting with my doctor and the "RASE Program" coordinator, they will use one of their case managers to help hook me up with a local therapist that the program approves and my insurance will cover. That will be less stress for me in attempting to find someone suitable and available. 

I have also been struggling with a sore throat and sinus issue that may be a result of this late allergy season (?). I started to lose my voice about two weeks ago and then ended up with terrible spots on the back of my throat and drainage. The doc gave me Amoxicillin and a mouth swish to aide in it's healing. I actually finished the seven day supply on Wednesday evening. The sore throat and spots are now gone, but the drainage continues. So, I've been continuing the Mucinex and the phenlyphedrine (congestion med).

So, as you can see, despite the help I have received in my knee replacement, manipulations, revision, and the spinal fusion over the past three years, the health issues continue as I attempt to withdraw from three years of Dilaudid (opiate) pain management usage. I would highly recommend anyone who has the need to take Dilaudid to get off of it as soon as possible so that you do not have to experience what I am currently going through... It is terrible. ;(

I would appreciate any good thoughts and/or prayers during my withdrawal process. Tomorrow morning, I have a scheduled "MRI with and without Contrast" of my liver at 10:00 a.m. This is my second attempt at the MRI because I cancelled and rescheduled the one I had for this past Monday due to my poor health.  I had my liver panel blood test taken this past Wednesday morning at LHG (Lancaster General Health) and the doctor had the results at yesterday's appointment. The tests came out pretty good. My A1C for diabetes was a bit higher than normal (7.4) and my white blood count was a bit higher than normal. My family doctor said that if he didn't know any better, he would not be able to tell by yesterday's blood test results that I have liver disease (Cirrhosis of the Liver due to Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis or NASH, often called the “silent” liver disease). Only 2 to 5% of Americans are afflicted with NASH... I was diagnosed in 2005 and given six years for a liver transplant. Well, so far, so good... Go figure!

I consider each day of my life as a gift...

It will take awhile after this rain ends for our Susquehanna and Juniata Rivers to clean up, drop, and get back to positive fishing conditions. The one good thing about the rains falling now is that it has been during the "Closed Bass Fishing Season" along the 90+ mile stretch (Sunbury Fabridam to the Holtwood Dam) of the Susquehanna River and 31+ mile (Confluence to Rt. 74) stretch of the Juniata River.

Bass on our section of the Susquehanna River will reopen on Saturday, June 14, 2014!

Take Care and Be Safe!
Dad