Tuesday, October 23, 2012

River's On The Rise (10/23/12)

Hello Folks,

I had an appointment this morning with Dr. John Legere, my dermatologist. I started seeing Dr. Legere about ten years ago after my oldest brother, Denny, was diagnosed with melanoma. Denny encouraged me to see Dr. Legere because he was the physician who recognize his melanoma and sent him on the surgeon. Denny's been doing well although he has had several "breakouts" of the cancer on the back of his hands and the top of his head.

I get a complete body scan from Dr. Legere yearly. Today's exam went well, but I did mention a few spots on my head that tend to 'scale up" on me from time to time. He took notice to three spots on my scalp and decided to freeze them. Freezing these spots only hurts for a few seconds. I will eventually see three scabs form and within the next few weeks, they'll be healed and gone.

As mentioned in the above title, the Susquehanna  River has been on the rise this weekend from recent rains. We will be seeing the water level at Harrisburg, Pa. gauge hitting the 4' mark by tomorrow afternoon. I took notice on LD's Fishing Site that the river on the North Branch had turned muddy yesterday. I'm not sure if or when that water will be hitting us here in South Central Pa.

My fishing buddies, Jeff and Penny, fished the river this weekend and finally had a good day! They were able to land over 25 smallmouth bass within a few hours. Several of the bass hit spinnerbaits and the majority grabbed a grub that Penny was tossing.

Early Morning Smallie

006-16re



I love the coloration on this next smallmouth bass.

003-16re



The next bass was Jeff's largest of the day...  an 18.5" Hawg!

002-18re



And finally... Another nice chunky Susquehanna River smallmouth bass taken on a spinnerbait!

001-18re

Take note to the coloration of the river behind Jeff. The water was stained from the rains we had this past week, but not muddy. The water temperature was in the mid to upper 50s and the air temp ranged from the mid-40s in the early morning to the mid-60s by afternoon. There were partly sunny skies and the wind was blowing briskly with gusts up to 30 mph! Great conditions for tossing the spinnerbait.

Despite the weekend's windy conditions, the fish finally started cooperating for the first time this fall. We have have definitely had a slow start to our Octoberfest here on the Lower Susquehanna River. It has been frustrating seeing all the great reports coming in from the main stem above Harrisburg, Pa and the North Branch of the Susquehanna River. We  are fully aware that we are into late October 2012 and the bite has been extremely slow on the lower river. Hopefully, our local bass have finally figured out that it's time to put their feed bags on and start preparing for the oncoming winter months.

Jeff and I will be on the river tomorrow morning. So keep an eye out for my next blog entry from the Susquehanna River!

Take Care and Stay Safe!
Dad