Saturday, August 4, 2012

Here We Go Again! (08/04/12)

Hello Folks,

We are in our sixth heat wave of 2012! Not only that, but each and every day, we have the major threat of thunderstorms from morning through night. In fact, as I sit and write this blog entry, there are strong storms hitting in York County which is just west of Willow Street, Pa.

It makes it virtually impossible to go fishing for me and remain safe. This is getting rather frustrating, but I know that eventually the hazy, hot, and humid weather will end and the things will calm down. I have, however, been able to swim a lot this summer which helps me keep my weight down and my muscles toned. I currently weigh a whooping 188 lbs this morning... Pretty Good!

Prior to my left knee replacement in July 2011, I weighed in at 216 lbs. After a couple of months with pain and medication upon me, I ended up weighing 172 lbs... Wow... a 44 lb lost of weight because of pain and lack of appetite.

When I had my right hip replaced seven years ago, I actually weighed in at 230 lbs and ended up at 180 lbs. I lost 50 lbs because of the same reasons. I'm not sure why I tend to do this, but if you notice, I never seem to return to my previous weight from either of these major surgeries.

By keeping my weight down, it definitely helps me with my diabetes and chronic liver disease. The extra weight puts undue pressure on my organ system which I don't need at all. I try my best to maintain a decent body weight so I can remain as healthy as possible.

Moving on....

The Pennsylvania Summer Keystone Games are being held this weekend at the Farm Show Arena in Harrisburg, Pa. My good buddy and "Best Man", Mike Stone, is the Director of the Judo competition and has been for 20+ years.

Julie and I have been trying to help him whenever we can even though I can no longer participate in the sport of Judo. I had been a collegiate and post collegiate Judoka, regional referee, certified coach, and Judo dojo owner (The Academy Of Kodokan Judo) in Lancaster, Pa. I had earned a Nidan (Second Black Belt) in the years that I participated and attended Camp Olympus in West Virginia back in the 1970s before Colorado Springs opened the Olympic Training Center.

Dad
 Photobucket

Dad
Photobucket

I actually had hair back then... and a lot of it!

Bronze medalist, Jim Bregman, ran Camp Olympus and numerous Olympians came to cam to train and instruct with us. Allan Coage, another bronze medal Olympian, was also in attendance when Julie and I were there... Alan was known as "Bad News Brown" in the WWE!

These two men were our only Olympic medalists back in the 1970s. We now have quite a few Olympic medalists, including Kayla Harrison. Kayla just won our very first Gold Medal in Judo this 2012 Olympics! Congratulations, Kayla!

I am planning to head up to Harrisburg, Pa. around 7:00 am tomorrow morning to help Mike once again. I believe that Julie will stay home as her right arm continues to heal from surgery. She does have a surgeon's appointment on Monday. I suspect that her sutures will be removed and her arm placed in a cast.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll take some Judo pics to share here on "Fishing With Dad".

Take Care and Be Safe!
Dad