Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Beautiful Afternoon On The Juniata With Josh (05/25/11)

Hello Folks,

The Susquehanna and Juniata Rivers are dropping and clearing after the eight days of rain we had. The Juniata River clears a bit faster than the Susquehanna River because it is a smaller river and is filtered some by Raystown Lake.

I spoke with Josh earlier this week regarding the NOAA river predictors for both The Juniata and the Susquehanna Rivers and predicted that by mid-week, we should have decent coloration and levels on both rivers. I knew he was excited about getting back out to fish ASAP.

Josh gave me a call around 8:00 am. this morning and asked me what I had planned for later this afternoon. Other than staying around the house and working on the pool, I had no immediate plans. Then he said those magic words, "Do you want to go fishing?"

He had been picking up milk (Milk Hauler) above the Clarks Ferry Bridge (Rt. 322/22) and after seeing the river was jonesing to get back out on the water and didn't care where we went fishing just as long as we got on the water.

A major front moved through last evening and the air temperature was suppose to reach the low 80s today. I wasn't too sure how the fishing would be, but I was game.

We met at his apartment at 1:00 pm., loaded my gear into his boat, and got on the road. We stopped for a couple of burgers since Josh hadn't eaten lunch and we still arrived at the launch by 1:45 pm. Good time for driving through Harrisburg via the interstates.

We fished for about an hour or so when Josh asked me to take control of the trolling motor. He needed to take a short nap since he had been up for work at 1:00 am. He slept for about an hour while I tossed numerous lures without a lot of success.

After he napped, we took a ride to another location and fished for another hour or so before calling it a day.

We only caught a few bass, nothing to brag about (no pics), before heading back to the ramp. Josh was totally thankful I agreed to come along to ease his craving to be on the water. He doubted that he would have come out if I hadn't agreed to come along.

As always, I am happy to join a friend even if it's only for a couple of hours on the water. It's a lot better than sitting at home and watching the grass grow... LOL!

From what we could tell, most the bigger smallmouth have spawned. We did catch a few 14-15" that still had some eggs left in them. They were staging in about 9.5' of water. The spawn will most likely continue into mid-June.

Thanks to Josh for inviting me along today. It was so beautiful outside. The water temperature on Josh's depth finder read 67.5 degrees and the air temp rose to 82 degrees. It was mostly sunny with a few passing clouds.

We tossed spinnerbaits, tubes, Winco Predators, and the Chille Willie today. The tube was the most successful lure, by far.

Take Care and Be Safe,