Monday, July 19, 2010

Lancaster-Lebanon League - Old Time Greats

Photobucket

Copyright - Dave Porter of www.tornadoalleyhoops.com©

Hello Folks,

If you've read some of my recent summer posts, you'll realize that I loved and still love to play basketball (when my body allows). I played basketball at JP McCaskey High School back in the early 1970's. I actually played my junior year and made the team my senior year. I left the team my senior year after 5 season games after witnessing a few disturbing behaviors by the varsity coach (lasted one year)... That's a whole other blog post in itself.

The picture above is a group of well-known Lancaster-Lebanon, Pa high school standouts. Several went on to compete in college and professionally overseas. The Back2Basic Basketball Camps are run by a local standout, Jerry Johnson. Jerry is an outstanding ex-McCaskey bball player and overseas professional.

In the very middle of the front row (black gear) is my nephew, Bryan Boyd. Bryan is the all-time leading scorer in the history of the Lampeter-Strasburg High School Basketball program.

Bryan is one of four sons of my oldest brother. All four nephews played bball at L/S High School. Matt, the oldest, was the second leading scorer in the LL League and #1 leading three point shooter his senior year. My youngest nephew, Aaron, was the tallest at 6'4" and held several track and field records for the high school.

They certainly were a very talented group of young men.

I'm not sure where my nephews got all this bball talent from becasue my brother never, ever played bball. But he was an outstanding baseball player (2nd baseman) for McCaskey High School and led the team his senior year in homeruns. In fact, he played for a local semi-pro baseball called the Strasburg (Pa) Falcons back in the early 1970's. I also played several games for the same team as a high schooler (17 yrs. old) when they needed a third baseman. Now get this... I didn't make my high school team (Cut on the final cut), but played with the Falcons and made my college Fall-Ball baseball team before injuries stopped me. :) Go figure!

I'm proud of the accomplishments that my own sons and nephews have made in life and wanted to share some of that with you, my blogger friends.

Maybe someday, I write about my expereinces in sports from baseball to basketball to judo... What a trip it all was! That's right folks, I earned a Nidan (2nd Black Belt - USJA/USJF) in Judo (The Gentle Way) back in the 1970's through the 1980's. Anyone whoever took the martial art/sport of Judo knows that earning a black belt is not an easy thing to do. I can attest to that. Not only was I a judo competitor, but I also earned a regional referee certificate (USJA/USJF) and refereed in a national event in Dayton, Ohio back in the late 70's.

Ahhhhhh... The Good Ol' Days!


Take care and stay cool!
Dad