Friday, June 25, 2010

A Day With Dell (Double D's) and Dad - 06/25/10

Hello Folks,

I launched this morning around 6:30 a.m. The sun was already up and there was a blue bird sky overhead. Severe thunderstorms came through our area again last evening accompanied by high winds and torrential downpours. They only lasted about 40 minutes or so before moving on... But it was sultry last evening with high humidity. As the NW winds moved in, the humidity broke and we had a pleasant night with an almost full moon.

I ran to a favorite spot that has been producing fish and immediately hooked into my "complimentary" spinnerbait fish for the day. It seems that on the last three trips, I've been able to land one spinnerbait fish before the bite goes south and I turn to plastic tubes.

Dell didn't get to the ramp until 8:45 a.m. because his brother, the assistant AD for Duke University, was visiting. Last evening, Dell had made plans with me to show up after his brother left in the morning. So, around 8:05 a.m., I got a cell call from Dell telling me he was on his way to the river. It's always nice to have a good friend to fish with.

We spent the next 3.5 hrs. tossing tubes, spinnerbaits, and cranks. Dell connected on a spinnerbait smallie which was his "complimentary" bass... :)

I ended the day with 26 bass (a couple of "yearlings") and the largest was this beautiful 19.25" caught on a tube around 11:30 a.m. in the high sun.


Dell seemed to be struggling this morning, but he did catch a couple of fish. I think he was tired from last evening's activities... brother visiting and basketball developmental league.

We both coached the Penn Manor Freshman team last evening at 6:00 p.m. and at 7:00 p.m., we stopped to be with the varsity coaches. It was extremely hot and humid in the gymnasiums.

Look what floated down the river close to the boat. It appeared only a few hours dead. I'm not sure what the cause of death was because I saw no wounds or hook marks on it. This muskie measure 38 inches and was quite heavy!


It was a beautiful day on the water. There was a nice cool northern wind this morning blowing b/w 5-10 mph. It put a good "spinnerbait chop" on the water even though the blades weren't producing much.

The water temperature was 80.6 degrees on my Lowrance. The surface temp was 86 degrees! The water was rather clear and I could see down to 3.5'. The water level in Harrisburg, Pa. was 3.6' this morning and slowly dropping.