Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lake Aldred, Susquehanna River 04/23/10

Hello Folks,

I hope you enjoyed the I-Kam video I made yesterday. I actually made several videos, but most failed to make the passing grade for my standards to show here. I promise to continue to work at it and get better with practice.

Welcome to My Home Waters...

I did fish yesterday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. I caught 16 bass on a spinnerbait and a lipless crankbait. By far, the crankbait was the winning lure for me yesterday. I believe the bright bluebird sky had a lot to do with it's success.

I started by fishing in the Pequea Creek and the headed up river from the ramp and worked slowly through the rock garden throughout the day.

The creek's water temperature was only 52.6 degrees, but the river ran from 57.6 in the main flow to 62.3 degrees in the back coves where all the carp were hanging out and doing acrobatic jumps... Cool! It's not yet time for them to spawn, but they sure are staging.

The air temp was 38 degrees when I awoke and it rose to 41 degrees at breakfast. By the time I reached the launch, it had risen to 47 degrees. Still rather chilly for the run onto the river. By 3:30 p.m., the air temp was a nice 65 degrees and very pleasant.

Most of my fish came out of moving water. The power plants were definitely pushing water from Safe Harbor and sucking it down through Holtwood Dam. That, to me, is the best scenario as long as the depth doesn't fluctuate to drastically.

There are several scenarios when fishing river lakes which are created between two dams. One can face a situation where (1) neither the upper or lower dam is moving much water at all. It seems almost stagnant, but the law requires some movement for oxidation. Another situation would be (2) that the upper dam is dumping/pushing water and the lower dam is not pulling much. The third (3) situation would be if the upper is not pushing much water but the lower dam is pulling heavily. And the fourth (4) scenario is when the upper dam is dumping heavily and the lower dam is pulling hard.

As you can see, an angler has to adapt to each dams' scenario (joke intended), as well as, the depth of the river. It makes for a very interesting and often different trip each and every time you go on an adventure.

I took several pics while on the water:

Lunch on a Rock Island:

Photobucket

Dad's Jet Rig... all decked out!

Photobucket

A couple of scenic shots as I ate lunch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can see why I love this part of the river so much. Although the fishing can be challenging, it is not impossible to have a "decent" day here. One needs to be extremely careful with the heavy current created by the dams. Having the MK 101 36 volt system provides greater safety for me as I negotiate in and around the numerous boulders and rocky ledges while struggling with the current.

I had the pleasure of observing two flying mature Bald Eagles. These two eagles are a little older than five years and have finally gotten their entire set of white feathers.

The PFBC has reported this area as the worst YoY areas on the river. However, if you work hard, stay patient, and persevere, you will catch fish.

Dad