Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fishing Alone Today... Main Stem Below Harrisburg, Pa

I have fished three days in a row with three different friends. Today, I went it alone.

The weather was just plain beautiful. I arrived at the ramp at 7:30 a.m. and the air temp was already 60 degrees. Thunderstorms are predicted for this evening with a temperature drop into the 50's for tomorrow. 50 degree temps are more seasonable than what we've been experiencing.

The water temperature ranged from 59.7 degrees to 61.8 degrees on the Lowrance. The coloration was the same as yesterday - a murky green.

The smallies were not as active as they were yesterday. I worked hard for all the fish I boated. Nothing came easy!

I fished eddies, front and back ends of islands, and rocky shorelines. Eleven small smallmouth bass came to hand. Most were buck males with a few females.

The wind was blowing from the southwest from 15-25 mph. I tried to fish more protected areas and was able to stay out of the wind most of the day. After the amount of wind we endured yesterday, I was taking it a bit easier today. :)

The sun was bright with a few passing clouds. As the afternoon came on, so did the clouds and the wind. I was met running back to the ramp with quite a bit of chop on the water, but no whitecaps (Thank goodness!).

The water is dropping nicely and registered 5.43' at the Harrisburg, Pa. gauge. It was 5.63' yesterday. That is almost a 2.5" drop over night. It's been a slow and steady drop over the past week.

I am starting to prepare for our trip to the North Branch this Sunday. I'll try to find the time to write up my preparation before leaving.

Take Care and Stay Safe!
Dad