Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cold, Cold, Cold! 3/27/10

Man-o-Man was it cold outside this morning! I had a reading of only 23 degrees at my home around 6:15 a.m. It was 27 degrees when I reached the access below Harrisburg, Pa. at 8:15 a.m. Brrrrrrrr! :o

Josh had his boat and I took mine this morning. We met at the launch and had to wait a few minutes as Josh's pisser tube/water pump de-iced.

Once we had water flowing strong out of the tubing, we were off and running north. Josh fished below about a mile from where I fished.

I hit two different spots (shorelines) and only managed one fish in the morning hours. The water temperature was 44.7 degrees as compared to 50.8 degrees on Tuesday... a 6 degree drop in four days.

The river had come up a bit since I fished on Thursday, but nowhere near what they had originally predicted. Several adjustments later, the predictor called for the river to rise at Harrisburg, Pa. to 7.3' yesterday and start falling today to 7.06'... about a 2.4" drop.

The river was cleaner where Josh was fishing. It had a nice green stain to it. My water was a bit murky and had a brownish tinge to it.

Josh had two bass on a 2.5" Black Neon Tube and 1/8th oz. tube head.

I stayed on the western shoreline above the TP until 12:30 p.m. and then headed down to join up with Josh. Josh was planning on leaving around 1:00 p.m. and I wanted to spend a few minutes fishing with him.

He had managed two more bass since I spoke with him while he drifted the western shoreline across.

I pulled upriver from him and tossed a green pumpkin/smoke tail tube towards the bank and immediately caught a 14" smallie!

That was my second of the day, but I wasn't finished.., No, not just yet!

Josh had to head out around 1:10 p.m. and I stayed and fished the shoreline for another hour. I caught three more smallies on that same tube.

The last three bass were caught in the same manner... I cast towards the shoreline, allow the current to take the tube downriver, as the tube arced behind the boat, the bass would follow and hit it.

Here is a pic of a rather strange looking 15" buck. Notice the big shoulders and thin long tail section... It did look weird.

Photobucket

I ended the day with five bass, but nothing bigger than the one in the pic.

dad