Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sensei Charlie Cavrich - 8th ( Hachidan) Dan Judo

One of my most favorite people in the world died this week after a long battle with mini-strokes, diabetes, and dementia. He was one of my Judo instructors as far back as the 1970's. His name is Charlie Cavrich. Charlie was a Master Examiner for the USJA (United States Judo Association) and had promoted me to both dans (Nidan) I earned in the years I spent in Judo.

http://obits.pennlive.com/obituaries/pennlive/obituary.aspx?pid=138984525

Charlie is a Marine in Ammo Company that served in the Korean Conflict. He was always into fitness and trained hard. The pictures of his younger years in the military was a testimony to his work ethic.

Sensei Charlie cared about others. He gave us leadership in hard times and he served as a father figure for all who were students of judo.

I was proud to have known such a fine man in my life and he will be sorely missed.

We attended a Mass of Christian Burial today in Camp Hill. Charlie was a member of the Church of the Good Shepherd Roman Catholic Church. He was well-loved by his fellow parishioners.

May he find peace in the hands of the Lord.

dad