Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Experience With The H1N1 Vaccination

After spending 6 days this past week in the hospital and being tested negative for the H1N1 flu, my wife and I set up a time for us and our 20 yr. old son to attend one of the many Pa. Health Department's Free Clinics to receive our vaccinations.

We were scheduled with many others between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. to meet at a pre-determined local site that could accommodate large crowds. This area was the old RCA Building in Lancaster, Pa. just off of New Holland Ave. which now houses the Intermediate Unit 13.

The three of us arrived about 7:50 a.m. and entered the building. We were greeted by a friendly staff of people assigned to help and direct the large groups of people expected throughout the day.

Our first task was to complete a consent form that had numerous health related questions on it. After completing the form, we carried it to a check point where a volunteer made sure we had all the signatures necessary... which we did.

We then moved into a line of folks waiting to enter the vaccination or nasal spray area. In less than 10 minutes, we were in another large room. We met with more volunteers who verbally reviewed our consent form answers. I had a US Army personnel assisting me.

Once finished with the review, another volunteer directed us to those who administered the vaccines. I had a burly fellow who was rather friendly. He explained the process of injecting the shot - location and care of site afterward. He then administered the shot... Ouch! It was high on the arm and it felt like a dart had pierced my skin. :-)

He gave me a band-aid and sent me on my way. No worse for the wear!

So, now the three of us are brewing the H1N1 vaccine in our bodies to counteract the Swine Flu. I feel safer already. ;-)

dad