Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Beautiful Day on the Lower Susquehanna River

My intentions were to head north this morning, but my sleep was so restless that I decided to stay close to home. That gave me a couple of extra hours to "attempt" to sleep before heading to breakfast.

I made it on the water around 8:45 a.m. the air temp was 36 degrees and the water temp on the west shoreline was 46.7 degrees.

Withing the first 20 minutes, I had hooked into a walleye and a 5.5 lb carp (24")! There were two shoreline fisherman who told me that there was a decent bite once again b/w 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. By 9:20 a.m., it had slowed down considerably. I hit the tail end of this exceptional time.

There was also a northwest wind blowing in the morning and by noon, it had shifted to the warm breezes from the southwest. I could tell a big difference in the temperature change within a few minutes. I no longer felt that coldness in the air and I didn't need a second coat or a pair of gloves anymore to run the jet rig.

I was fishing off shore in about 8' of water off an island when the shift occurred. There was a fellow on the island making his final grass cut of the season and burning leaves. When I first arrived, the smoke trailed out and over the water towards the east shoreline. And by noon, the smoke had shifted and was blowing into the homes on the island. I doubt if he read the weather report. LOL! :D

Most the morning, we had high blue bird skies which made it a bit harder on us anglers. I did manage a few smaller bass, but nothing like my last few visits to this area.

The water had quite a bit more color to it today. Last Friday, the water was nice a clear. it was good water for jerkbait tossing. I threw the JB a bit today in the dingier conditions without success. Today was certainly a soft plastic day for me.

dadTB