Thursday, October 1, 2009

"So, I thought I'd go fishing today, but..."

My wife gets up each and every work day at 5:00 a.m. which is perfect for me since it's a good time to get ready to fish for the day. Today was no different than any other day I've gone fishing this past month.

I got up at 5:00 a.m., showered, and shaved. I put on my fishing clothing and warm boots since it had dropped to 40 degrees last night in the countryside.

By the time I had gotten downstairs, my wife had the dogs fed and out in the yard. She was eating breakfast and I packed a small lunch to take with me.

I headed to the garage to hook up the trailer to the truck. My wife stopped by and gave me a kiss goodbye and asked me to be safe driving and fishing since I was on my own. As always, I told her not to worry and away she went down the road.

I put my rods and gear into my locking covered truck bed since I was stopping at the local greasy spoon for breakfast and to read the morning paper. The morning was going along just great.

I got to the restaurant a little after 6:00 a.m. and ordered breakfast. The waitress delayed getting my order into the kitchen... something about she got tied up at the cash registered since there was no hostess in at this early hour to take payments. Okay... That was okay, but delayed my fishing for a few minutes.

By the time I got my eggs and ham, I had drank 3 cups of coffee. LOL! After eating and paying the bill, off I went to the parking lot. There were three cable guys standing by talking to one another and one of of the fellows said to me, "Hey, looks like you're getting a flat." I answered back, "Yea, I see that. I should be getting smallmouth instead."

It wasn't completely flat yet, but it sure was on it's way. I got home, unhooked the boat, and was going to give AAA a call. Heck, that's why I have these guys, right? Well, I looked at my card and it had expired... YESTERDAY! Dang!!!

I called my wife at work to see if she renewed our membership. "Well, honey, I was going to, but..." She finally said she'll call, renew, and have some one sent... "Thank you, Sweetie!"

I've had three flats in the past year and I'm on first name basis with the driver of the tow truck. He understands that I have replaced hips and helps me in whatever way he can.

I thought I get the ball rolling before he got to my home. So, I went to unlock the plug that protects the entry to drop the spare tire and it wouldn't budge... Dang! How will I get that darn spare out? The last time I did it, the plug came out rather easily. I tried a few more times w/o success. Okay, where's the silicone spray? A shot of that loosened the plug and the key finally worked... whew! Thank you, God! That was about the only thing that has gone right since I saw the flat at the restaurant.

The AAA tow truck finally arrived and the driver said he could try to fill the tire for me. He claimed it would get me to the dealer. But wait, he was all out of compressed air. He had a hole in his air tube... LOL! Sounds like my bad luck was now on a roll.

So, he helped me remove the damaged tire and replaced it with the spare that I had earlier dropped. It was now a little after 9:00 a.m. I had called the Ford dealer before the tow truck arrived and they told me to just bring the tire right over when I was finished with AAA.

I arrived at the Ford dealer around 10:00 a.m. and spent the next two hours, (Yes, two hours) waiting for the tire to be repaired. It was a tiny nail hole that took awhile to locate. They plugged it and it was finished at noon.

Let's see... Up at 5:00 a.m. to go fishing and leaving the Ford dealer at noon with a repaired tire! Needless to say, no fishing for me today. I did get the lawn mowed before the rains move in tonight.

What's the Albert King lyric to the song "If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no kinda luck. If it wasn't for real bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all"? Well, that's my day in a nutshell. So, I think I'll just go to bed now before anything else has a chance to happen to me. Goodnight!