Monday, October 12, 2009

Cold Morning, Slow Morning - Susquehanna River

Since today was Columbus Day, our local public schools were off for the day. That meant my buddy, Dell (math teacher at the middle school level), was home and ready to get on the water.

He had shoulder surgery recently and his PT told him it was okay to go out and try some fishing. So, we planned to get out today before his 1:30 p.m. PT appointment. Having his therapy appointment on the same day that we fished was a good idea. He will be able to fill his therapist in on how he felt while casting and landing bass... Sore! :(

It was 7:30 a.m. and 40 degrees outside when Dell arrived at my home. We loaded the boat and tow truck with his fishing gear and headed to our local fishing hole for a few hours of smallie fishing... Rehab! :D

There was a good cloud cover all morning. The weather report called for clouds to move in as the day progressed. Well, they were here already when we launched at 8:15 a.m. The weather report predicted that the air temperature was suppose to rise to 60 degrees. It's 2:00 p.m. as I write this report and it's only 47 degrees outside... Uh, I doubt if we we'll see 60! ;)

Dell got the ball rolling with a nice little chunk of a smallie on a Bandit 200 Series crankbait. He followed that bass with a small 13" walleye. He was able to catch one more 17" walleye and another bass before we left at 11:30 a.m.

I caught four smallies on my "ugly" lure... Big O 3/8th oz. Fire Tiger crank. My biggest was 15".

No monsters today, but we had a great time anyway! Dell was introduced to my method of PT... Fishing!

I caught a walleye on the Winco's Frankenstein (borrowed parts) "Bronze Bushwhacker" ... Okay, that's three species in the past two trips on the "BB." Maybe we should consider another name change to " The Bronze-Greenie-Wallie Bushwhacker."

With the complete cloud cover this morning, the water temperature held at 58.7 degrees on the Lowrance.

The Harrisburg gauge was at 3.68' water level.

Dell and I caught smallies today on jerkbaits, crankbaits, and the "Bronze Bushwhacker." We also tossed tubes and spinnerbaits without any success.

There were some Early Duck (Oct. 10-17) hunters on the water today. We watched a pair of duck hunters call a group of four mallards in. They landed too far for a good shot. So the hunters waited the ducks out. Four flew in and only three flew out! We watched them get into their camo-covered boat and retrieved the duck. Way to go, guys!