Thursday, September 17, 2009

Home Water Fishing, Susquehanna River 09/16/09

I was able to jump on my home water yesterday for a few hours of fishing before the rains moved in. The weatherman called for rain around 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., but I lucked out and had nothing fall on me. The rains moved in around 5:30 p.m.

The river was slightly stained and looking good. I had at least 3 feet of visibility where I was fishing. The water temp was around 66 to 68 degrees in the many areas I fished. The air temp stayed in the low to mid 60's throughout the trip making it quite comfortable.

I tossed a spinnerbait in and around swifter moving water and had zero hits... fish are transitioning from summer patterns to fall patterns. The spinnerbait bite has been really off during the morning and days for the past week or so.

However, I did nail them on a crankbait. I started out with a few smaller dinks and caught fish consistently in the 13-14" range throughout the trip. I also had many chasers that followed my crankbait back to the boat, but wouldn't pull the trigger and bite it.

I had over a dozen smallmouth today and a beautiful 19" walleye that I gave up to a fellow angler from Lancaster, Pa. We met at the ramp and he told me he was hoping for a walleye or two. The fall walleye bite will soon begin as the water temp hits the low 60's consistently. They tend to migrate to the creeks in the swifter moving water during the fall season.

dad