Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving! (11/24/11)

Hello Folks,

I wish my oldest son, Chris, a very warm and happy 28th birthday. We spent some time together at Uncle Denny's and Aunt Judy's home today for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a nice family gathering with a football game thrown in there somewhere. :)

I am so very thankful for my beautiful and loving wife, Julie. Without her support over the past year, I doubt I would have had the strength to survive all the experiences, both ups and downs, that we've gone through in 2011. She was always there for me during the pain and suffering I experienced following my left knee replacement. Oh, did it hurt! I am grateful for the time and energy she put into sustaining me at home once I left the hospital. She even gave up two weeks of her own precious yearly vacation to be with me as I recovered... I love you, Sweetheart.

There is definitely a lot to be thankful for this past year. We are pulling our troops out of Iraq and bringing them home... I am so thankful for this and the lives that will be spared.

My friend, Josh, survived two terrible accidents in the past two months. Each one could have been serious enough to have killed him and he survived both with only bruises and a scratch or two. He was so lucky.

Fishing was very limited as I faced yet another major surgery. Although things aren't going as well as I would like, I am extremely thankful that I no longer have a knee that is falling out on me and hitching as I climb and descend stairs. Let's hope it loosens as the year passes and I get more use of it back.

I am thankful for my family as we make it through another financially troublesome year. I have two beautiful and healthy granddaughters whom light up my world every time I see them... including today!

I am thankful for the friends I have who are willing to take this "handicapped" old fart fishing. Without their friendship and assistance, I would not have been able to take the last four fishing trip this past few months.

I am thankful for my surgeon, the nursing staff, the physical therapist, and support staff at Lancaster (Pa.) General Health for all the help they gave me since my total knee replacement in July.

A big thanks goes out to Penn Manor School District for allowing me to return for another season as a volunteer assistant basketball coach at the junior high school level. This activity keeps me in positive spirits and allows me to feel useful in retirement. I am thankful that I coach with three good friends... Dell, Don, and Steve.

And finally, I am thankful for all who take precious moments from their lives to relax and read my blogs. Without your support, I doubt that I would spend the time to write about my life and fishing adventures.

We have a lot ahead of us as I prepare to see if I can continue to handle my own boat. I am seriously concerned about entering and exiting my jet rig on my own with this bum knee. I am especially concerned about exiting my boat once it is trailered. My knee doesn't allow me to bend past 75 degrees which will make it physically impossible to exit off the front of my boat. I am currently looking for attachments that will allow me to step down safely.

I wish all of my blog visitors a Happy Thanksgiving Day. Please take a moment to reflect on those things that bring joy and happiness into your life. These are the things that make us all thankful as we travel through this life together.

Take Care and Be Safe!
Dad