Friday, July 22, 2011

Hot Time Summer In The City... (07/22/11)

Hello Folks,

I only have five days until my total knee replacement and the dang weather is broiling all living things. It hit 104 degrees here today with a heat index of 119 degrees. Further south, it was even more suppressing.

We almost had thunderstorms pass through Willow Street, Pa. this evening, but they fizzled out in this intense heat.

There doesn't seem to be any relief in sight until Monday. In fact, every evening weather report from now through Sunday shows the potential of heat sparked thunderstorms. I am sure the lawns would love a drink or two to refresh themselves during this heat wave. 

Yesterday, I went swimming after mowing my lawn. The pool water was 90 degrees and felt like bath water. I haven't been out at the pool this evening to check on the temperature... I have absolutely no desire to walk outside right now.

I hope that all my visitors who are experiencing this oppressive heat remain safe until relief arrives. There was a boater on the Susquehanna River who died this past week most likely due to a heat stroke and passing out in the water. The authorities believe that he was having boat motor trouble and was out in the water "towing" his boat with a rope. The 61 year old had a PFD (life jacket) on, but that failed to save him. The autopsy showed that he did not have any trauma to his body and that he did not have a heart attack.

It is so important that those with preexisting health conditions stay hydrated and indoors as much as possible on days like today. For example, I am a Type-2 diabetic with liver disease and I am very cautious on such hot and humid days. Not only do I hydrate often when out on my boat, but I also seek shade to give my body a break from the scorching sun. Being on an aluminum boat in 100+ degree temperatures is like sitting in an open frying pan. It reminds me of "The Rock" (Dwayne Johnson) when he asked, "Can you smell what the Rock is cooking now?" Exchange the word "Rock" with "Sun" and you could use that line today! :)

I was hoping to get back out on the water before my knee replacement surgery this coming Tuesday, but this intense heat may put a kibosh to my plans.

Take Care and Be Safe!
Dad