Sunday, November 7, 2010

Fishing with Dell... Lake Clarke 11.07.10

Hello Folks,

Got out fishing today with Dell... just for a couple of hours. It wasn't windy when we left his home at 9:15 a.m. But boy-o-boy, did it ever kick up once we arrived at the river.

I got a good pant soaking coming across Lake Clarke... LMAO!

The SFT Tournament guys were set up on the downriver points of all the islands. So, we decided to run over to the west shoreline to fish.

There were about three boats along that shoreline when we got there. In about an hour's time, I counted 10+ boats, including our boat, along the deeper west bank. Imagine that!

We didn't see a single boat land a fish. However, Dell and I did manage to put two in the boat with a "Bang" soaked 2.5" tube.

We decided to head over to Washington Boro (East Shoreline) and the wind was howling straight downriver onto us. By now, there were white caps. Dell fired the boat up and started to run straight across the swales... Bad idea, Dell!

I had to tell him to slow down and ride it out. :) By then, my jeans on my left leg were pretty soaked... ugh! :-/ LOL!

Hind sight being 20/20, I most likely should have brought along my rain gear... Duh! But the wind wasn't bad at home and was 10X worse on the river... Typical!

By the way, did you notice? We've had a lot of wind this fall.

I would like to know where the 60 degree days are. We had 75 degree temperatures two weeks ago and then it dropped into the 40's!! What's up with that!?

We headed back to the ramp around 1:15 p.m. Our main goal today was to get Dell's boat winterized.

I backed the boat trailer into the water and Dell loaded the boat. After pulling the boat out of the water, I got out of the vehicle and removed the motor cowling. Dell used a Phillip's Head screwdriver to remove the plastic cover to the cylinders. We disconnected the gas line and started the motor. Dell sprayed the "fogging oil" into the cylinders to lubricate the walls and pistons until the motor stalled out.

I suggested that he use the fogging oil for his sparks. But he chose not to do that this year. I hope it won't come back to haunt him in the future!

When we got home, we left the boat uncovered in order to dry out from the beating we got in the swales. With the sun shinning and the wind blowing, it shouldn't take too long to dry out.

I'm hoping to get out on Tuesday and/or Thursday, if the weather cooperates. The weatherman is calling for a pretty good warm up as the week progresses. I, for one, am looking forward to it... and being dry!