Saturday, July 24, 2010

One Man's Junk Is Another Man's Treasure - "Sale-ing"

Hello Folks,

My lovely wife started her week's vacation today and instead of resting, we had a "Yard Sale!"

Ah yes, the annual yard sale where dad does 90% of the manual labor and mom reaps in the money... LOL!

We started to prepare for the sale on Wednesday evening. Julie and I were in the bedrooms and basement looking for sale items that may catch someone's eye and we no longer used. The task was rather easy.

I have been harboring a ton of stuff in our basement for other people. My sister-in-law moved to New Mexico three years ago and I have a bunch of her family's stuff that she gave us in the basement. None of it has been used and just taking up space. These were excellent items to move out to the sale.

My son and his fiancee buy new and used DVD movies and television series. They had a ton of those to sell and did quite well doing so.

I awoke at 5:00 a.m. to eat wash and shave, eat breakfast, and get working!

The boat needed to be removed from the garage and parked along side the house. I did this as the sun was rising.

It was already extremely humid outside and the temperature was around 81 degrees before 8:00 a.m. It was hazy, hot, and humid... The 3 H's! I was sweating bullets within a few minutes of carrying items up the basement stairs and out to the front yard.

We usually get the "Early Birds" around 6:30 a.m. when the sale actually starts at 7:00 a.m. Well, due to the hot and humid conditions, our first customers didn't stop until 7:10 a.m. I remember thinking to myself, "This isn't a good sign of things to come."

But as the morning wore on, the people kept coming. Sales went in waves, but we did quite well overall. My son and his fiancee did really well. It was good to see them pick up a few extra bucks to help things out.

Well, the sale has been over for about 2 hours or so and we still have a few items on our hill by the road that are free for the taking. There are a baby buggy, a baby car seat, and two boat bumpers left over from this morning sale. I'm sure they'll all be gone by dark. Our hillside is an incredible place to move things out that we no longer want or need.

Tomorrow is our annual "Bash and Splash 2010." It is an annual pool party Julie and I throw to thank all my friends for helping me through the tough times when I had my hip surgeries and all my other hospital stays. I am contemplating this being the last year for the gathering. So, I'm expecting a very good time and a good turn out.

We will be starting the "Bash and Splash" around 1:00 p.m. with the grill being lit by 1:30 p.m. Nothing gets better than having family, neighbors, and good friends over for some favorite liquid refreshments, fish stories, casting contest in the pool, and especially THE FOOD!

Dad