Friday, April 30, 2010

Striper Fishing With My Buddy, Mike... Great Day!

I had the pleasure of fishing with Mike Burton on the Susquehanna Flats for stripers today. Well... let's say we were going largemouth fishing and the Flats looked so inviting.

Mike has a Snyder true jon boat that doesn't do well in a major chop. We didn't have to worry much about that today. However, by the afternoon, there was a decent southerly wind blowing that slowed us down a bit on our run back to the ramp.

We met at my home at 5:00 a.m. for the ride to Maryland. There were only two other boats in the parking lot when we arrived. Lunching was a bit tricky since we were in low tide. But once we got the Snyder off the trailer, I could pull the trailer back up and over the lip of the ramp rather easily.

What a beautiful day!!

Photobucket

The water temperature on the Flats was in the upper 50's at 6:30 a.m. and rose to the lower 60's by 2:00 p.m. We had a blue bird sky all day long. The air temperature was around 50 degrees in the morning and got into the lower 80's by afternoon.

We tried several lures today until we zoned in on the jerkbait. I threw a large Rat'L Trap, crankbait, and soft plastic jig without success. The jerkbait was the ticket.

Mike got on the board with the first three stripers. He was tossing a LC 125 that he purchased for a decent price (50% off... Say what!?), thank goodness, because he lost the one he was using... clip failure.

We caught so many schooling stripers that I eventually lost count. It was a hay day for them. What a fun time. We were catching stipers from a pound to about eight pounds.

Photobucket

Here is a decent striper I caught near the end of our trip:

Photobucket

Mike and I have been fishing the Flats for stripers for a long, long time and we never seem to hit it right. Well, today was right!

Thanks to Mike for taking me on this adventure. I had a great time.

Dad