Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It Was Hot, Hot , Hot Today!

Hello Folks!

The temperature here in South Central Pennsylvania went to 87+ degrees. It beat a record set in 1942! In other words, it was Hot, Hot, Hot Today!

That being said, I met up with at 7:15 a.m. with Josh Kreider for our "Tuesday With Dad" fishing outing. It was raining and I even saw a lightening flash as I was driving to Josh's place.

The rain had stopped by the time I arrived and I loaded my gear over into his jet rig. We then headed to one of our favorite breakfast spots. After eating, we were off to the Susquehanna River.

Josh dropped me and his boat off at the ramp and took his old worn out trailer up to Lakeside Marine in Harrisburg, Pa. to get a brand spanking new replacement trailer! His old trailer had a crack in the tongue area and needed to be replaced before something tragic happened.

I fished for about 40 minutes alone without a hit before Josh returned.

He boarded the boat and we headed north to fish an island that was hot last Spring for us. The fish had not moved onto this island area just yet and we didn't stay there very long at all.

It was a rather slow day on such a hot day! We only landed 10 bass and 1 walleye during our entire outing. This was the nicest fish we caught all day long. She was a beautiful 17.5" smallie with a nice fat belly (Not mine!!). I was working on my summertime tan.

Photobucket

We threw a lot of different baits today... JB,lipless crankbait, tubes (2.5" and 3.5"), spinnerbaits, Winco Predator Craw (plastic), and crankbait.

One fish came off a lipless crank and all the others were caught by tubes. I was surprised that the spinnerbait didn't attract more attention with the water at 57 -60 degrees.

There was a pretty stiff wind that shifted several times. We felt pretty hard gusts from the Northwest and from the Southwest.

The sun was bright and hot. There were only a few passing clouds throughout our entire trip. I remember Josh mentioning around 2:00 p.m. how one little cloud had covered the sun for a brief moment of relief.

Dad

p.s. We saw one of the small beavers playing in the water off the front point of an island. It was swimming and submerging off and on.