Monday, February 1, 2010

Prepping For This Coming Fishing Season

Over the past few weeks, I've been preparing my tackle and boat for this coming fishing season. Of course, those who know me can attest to the fact that I fish all year round and really don't have a "fishing season."

I used 4" cable ties and wrapped all my older spinnerbait skirts. The old surgical tubing used often will dry out over time and crack. Once it cracks, it will easily break and the skirting material is all over my spinnerbait boxes. Hopefully, by cable tying them this will no longer happen.

Photobucket

I do not fish many weed beds and have no real concern that the small cable tie mechanism will catch on too many things, especially since I have it tied on the top of the spinnerbait head.

I also bought 8" mounting cables to mount my wire and cable Tubing to the deck of my jet rig. The old ones had aged, dried, and eventually snapped off. I've been putting this off for a couple of years. My local hardware store didn't carry the mounting cables and I found them at our local Lowes Hardware Store. I would have preferred the 12" mounting cables, but they only had the 8" in black and white. So, I had to connect two together to get enough length to make the wraps tight.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Whenever I shop at Walmart, I cruise the fishing aisles to see what I can pick up. In fact, my friend Jeff found some great snap tie-downs for only $1.88 and picked four of them up for me. I'm sure I can find a use on my boat.

Yesterday, my wife and I shopped for some food items at Walmart and we just happened to wander over to the fishing aisles (*wink, wink*) and I found this cool waterproof box for only $8.88... Neat!

Photobucket

Photobucket

There were two sizes and I chose the "Large" in order to get my wallet, cell phone, and keys all in one container. Man, I could have really used this larger box the day Josh and I fished the Lancaster County Hawg Hunters Thursday Night Tourney two summers ago. I put his cell phone in a "dry bag" and the phone still got wet... arrggghhh!

Photobucket

Heaven knows what I'll find over the next few months to make my life easier and safer on the water in 2010. I saw a great plug knocker idea over at Riverbassin.com that I would like to try out. It was written up by a great fellow who's screen name is PawPaw. Go check it out! (Watercraft, Tackle and Gear - How to: "Unhang Your Lures With A Home-Made Lure Retriever")

Take care,
dad