Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Joys of Boat Ownership!

We finally got the 2001 G3 up to Lakeside Marine in Harrisburg, Pa. today. My original plans were to deliver it there a few weeks ago and then we had 2+ feet of snow... Nope!

My second plan well laid plan was to deliver it sometime between Christmas and the New Year. My hospital stay prevented that one... Nope!

When I awoke to the snow covering and reports of fender-benders throughout the county this morning, my hopes were almost completely dashed. However, the weatherman explained that the temperature would rise above freezing and the roads should clear by late morning. A ray of hope finally came over me once again.

Before we headed to Harrisburg this morning, I had to meet with an Otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor) this morning. Everything went well and he doesn't believe that I have any major injuries to my throat or larynx due to this illness. My voice should return as the slow healing continues. His diagnosis was that I had a severe viral infection and I should continue on the treatment plan set forth by the hospital physicians. He was a bit hesitant to say that everything was totally fine yet since he didn't see me at my worst moment. So the extent of the swelling and what it may have effected will not be known for some time. If I do regress, I need to see him immediately.

Tomorrow, I have a follow-up appointment with my PCP.

The roads were a bit slippery when we went to the doctor's office at 9:00 a.m. But the road conditions improved throughout the morning and by the time we hooked the boat up to trailer, they were only wet. The highway run to Harrisburg, Pa. was completely dry.

We arrived at the shop around 11:30 a.m. and met with JC Nuss to review what items needed to be done:
Routine winter maintenance - Oil Change for the 4-Stroke, replace water separator filter, check the trailer for stress cracks (Right, Josh!?), wheel bearings/packed, auto-bilge float needs fixed, two front deck rod holders need mounted, and the MK101 trolling motor needs repaired once again.

JC believes it's the armature... again (2nd time)! Thank God I have an extended warranty until 2011. Couple of spare keys cut.

Just like a car, a boat and motor needs constant care. I consider it a responsibility no only to myself, but also to my friends and others on the water, to keep my boat in tip-top shape. Just like a car, poor maintenance of a boat could be a matter of life and death. Call me dramatic, but I believe that there is almost as much chance on the water for injury due to poor maintenance as there is in a car with poor maintenance.

Ahhhhhh... The Joy Of Boat Ownership!

dad