Monday, November 2, 2009

Spoofing!

Apparently there is a thing going on called "Spoofing" on cell numbers. I had heard about it, but never really paid too much attention to it all until my oldest brother called me today. His cell number has been used and sold as a "Spoof" number.

This is how he explained it to me. People owe money... collection agency tries to collect... people know collection agencies numbers and refuse to answer... Collection agencies "buy" cell numbers (don't ask me how)and try to fool the debtor into answering under the bought number... If the debtor doesn't answer, they call the "Spoof" number and want to know why you called them.

My brother says he has had calls from all over the nation. His cell company said he could wait it out... yea sure... or do blocks... yea sure... or change his number. He opted to change his cell number. What a PITA!

Why is this being allowed? or Is it illegal and collection agencies don't care?

dad