Monday, September 21, 2009

A Perfect Day on the Water, Susquehanna River 09/21/09

My wife gets up each work day at 5:00 a.m. which is really great for me. I get up along with her and when she leaves, I leave to go get breakfast and read the local morning paper.

With my boat loaded and ready to trailer, I headed to breakfast at 6:00 a.m. I took my time this morning since there was a lot of fog in this area.

I arrived at the launch around 7:50 a.m. and was on the water by 8:15 a.m. The water temp was 66.5 degrees all day long. The air temp was 53 degrees when I launched and rose to 70 by 2:00 p.m. There was a slight SW breeze when I first arrived and as the skies cleared a bit and the sun came out, the breeze picked up and turned to the SE blowing b/w 5-10 mph. That is a upriver wind which created a slight chop on the water.

It was such a pleasant day. I was in awe of Mother Nature as she gave me a show today. I saw both immature eagles flying all morning long. What a beautiful sight!

I also caught sight of a mink running up and down the rip rap along the eastern shoreline. I was the only boat in the area this morning and I think he was curious about me and stayed nearby for quite some time watching and following along with me.

I also caught a very rare "out numbered" fish in this area today... (see pic)

Photobucket

It was a 11.25" largemouth in an area dominated by smallmouth and walleyes!

I had a ton of fish today ranging from 12" to 18". Several came on the hard plastic jerkbait, soft plastic tubes, Super Spots, and crankbaits.

Here is my biggest fish of the day... (see pic)

Photobucket

(Another Pic of the Same Smallie)
Photobucket

She measure in at 18.25". I caught her with my ugly crankbait along a rocky shoal. :D

dadTB