Friday, May 15, 2009

Susquehanna River "A Rose b/w Two Thorns"

What a beautiful day on the river. I'll call this day a "Rose Between Two Thorns" because yesterday it poured on us and it's suppose to rain most the weekend. So I got to smell the Rose!

I had OT this morning on my wrist and hand until 9:00 a.m. I got home and hooked the boat to the truck and away I went. I had to stop to get gas and a sammie for lunch. By the time I got to the ramp, it was already 10:20 a.m. A little late to start a day out, but I was just glad to be there!

I headed up river and stopped at a spot that has yielded me some very nice bass over the pass several weeks. NADA!

Being that it was Friday, there were more boats on the water than earlier in the week. Many were either working the west shoreline or the "cleaner" water towards the middle of the river. There are several creeks and streams in this area that were pumping muddy water into the river.

I got a reading of 59.3 degrees when I got on the water. It rose to 62.2 degrees by 2:00 p.m. There was a slight overcast/haze at the beginning of my trip. I could tell the humidity was still up there. But as the day progressed, the humidity broke and I had mostly sunshine. There was a slight southerly breeze blowing, but it had little effect on my fishing. The air temp was 68 degrees when I launched and 77 degrees when I trailered the G3 at 2:00 p.m..

I headed north and hit an area that gave Josh, Dunkleberger, and me several fish on Tuesday. I caught two nice fish... 16.5" and a 15.5" smallies. The one had the brightest red eyes. We caught two red eyed smallies on Tuesday. These fish came on a 3/8th oz. spinnerbait.

It was around 12:30 p.m. when I moved to my next spot. I grabbed a quick bite of my sandwich and gave Jst Fishin a call to see where he was and how his day was going. They fished north of me and were having a decent day after a slow morning start. After I hung up, I tossed my spinnerbait into a 5' channel and "Smack!" A little 12" smallie grabbed it. After a few more casts, I had an 11" on... I was in a pocket of juveniles! I tossed again and this 13" smallie hit. Check out what was sticking in his gullet...

Photobucket

This 13" glutenous smallie not only had this nice size crayfish sticking in his throat, but he was chasing my 3/8th oz. spinnerbait, too. Cool!

After seeing the beautiful orange pincers on that crawdad, I grabbed a mudpie tube and caught two more. Just a few weeks ago, the pincers of the cray were a nice bright blue. One of the smallies had a nice sore started on the top of his lip from ripping into these delicacies.

I finished the day with a dozen bass with all b/w 11" and 16.5" (10:45 a.m - 2:00 p.m.). I had 9 in the 11"-14" range. I like seeing those smaller bass and hope that we continue to get such nice rainfall as we had yesterday over the next couple of months. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a great 2009 spawn.

dadTB